Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Daniel's Story-Point of View

Point of View Assignment

In Daniel’s Story, the story is told from the point of view of Daniel which means we see the events through the eyes of Daniel. What if the story was seen through another character’s eyes such as Daniel’s father, Erica, Rosa or even a Nazi?  How different would the same events be written?  In this assignment, you have the chance to pick a major event in the story and re-write it from the point of view of a different character. In order for this to be successful, you must do the following:
·         Make sure the events are exactly the same as the events in the novel
o   Use same dialogue
o   Events in same order
·         Understand the character who is telling the story
o   If it is a child the point of view  be fairly innocent and confused
o   If it is a Nazi guard the point of view should represent Nazi thinking (or should it?)
·         Be empathetic
o   Be sure to add emotion in to your writing
§  Think to yourself, “How would the character feel during these events?”
Below is a very good example of an event from Daniel’s Story told through the eyes of another character.  To gain the proper appreciation of it, first read the event from the point of view of Daniel (pg. 48-49).  Next, read the writing below which is the same event written from the point of view of Friedrich.  Look to see the similarities between the 2 pieces of writing (events, dialogue).  Also look to see how different the 2 pieces of writing are (feeling, empathy for children in the cupboard).  Now it’s your turn; can you do better?

Daniel’s Story –pg.48-49

Point of View-Friedrich

Erika and I had been chosen by the family to be the ones who would hide in the cupboard to try to escape those evil men…the Gestapo.  When I asked why we were chosen, Mother said, “Child, you do not want to know what happens to young children when the Gestapo get a hold of them.”
I never understood what she meant, but I knew it wasn’t good.  And then, one afternoon, I saw the Gestapo coming and I ran back into the apartment as fast as I could. 
“They’re coming!” I screamed as a crashed through the door, completely out of breath.
Quickly, Mother helped Erica and me into the cupboard.  We were both really scared and hugged each other as they quickly slammed the door.  I heard them doing something to the door.  I think they were taking the door handle off.  Next, I heard them slide something heavy in front of us. 


Then….it was so quiet.  I had never heard such quietness in a long time since so many of us had been crammed into that apartment. It was so quiet, it hurt my ears.  Erica and I were both too scared to talk so we just hugged each other.  I felt Erica shaking like a leaf so I gently kissed her on the top of her head.  After what felt like an eternity, I heard a Gestapo officer yell something that sounded like, “You may not go with them!”
I next heard Mother yell, “I will not leave them!”
“You must!” screamed the Gestapo.
I was really worried for Mother because the anger in the Gestapo voice was really frightening.
I then heard Mother say, “I will not” in a pleading voice.

It was silent for a few seconds and I thought maybe the Gestapo had let the children go with her.  The silence was broken with the sound of three gunshots.  The sound made both Erica and I jump. But we were both too scared to say anything.  Again it was silent for a long time and we both just kept our arms around each other.  All the while I kept saying to myself, “Please be okay Mother, please be okay”.

No comments:

Post a Comment